Three rooms are available for hire:
* The Main Hall with close seating for 100 persons and an induction loop for persons with hearing difficulties.Ramped/level access. Approx size 40 ft long x 24 ft wide. Unobstructed room height 11 feet which can accommodate most bouncy castles. Please check item 9 below for inflatables insurance requirements.
* The First floor Large Meeting Room seats 15 persons. and the adjacent Small Meeting Room seats 6 persons. (staircase access only to these rooms)
Hire charges include use of heating and lighting, tables, chairs, the kitchen and its equipment/utensils. Please note that we do not have wine glasses & hirers wishing to consume wine should please bring their own. Please note our information page about alcohol. If you are bringing in or preparing food, please check the safety advice here.
Our rear garden is currently being upgraded to create safe public access, and we will advise via our Facebook page when this is completed.
If advance notice is given, our portable stage, sound and lighting plus ,AV equipment may be hired for drama productions and conference style events at the Hall.
We welcome enquiries from residents & groups with special needs and from ethnic minorities. We operate Equal Opportunity and non-discriminatory policies.
Following unfortunate past experience, regretfully we no longer accept bookings for teenage parties.
If a booking enquiry is received, which appears to endorse acts of Extremism or Terrorism, or if relevant information is subsequently brought to our attention, we are required to notify the Police.
Hall Hire Rates
Main Hall £13 per hour (£38 for 3 hrs). First Floor large meeting Room £5 per hour.
First floor small meeting Room £3 per hr (£8 for 3 hr).
Regular hirer discounts.
Please read the information below plus our formal Conditions of Hire.
We now use the “Hallmaster” booking system for provisional bookings. Click the “Diary” page tab at the top of this page. There may be a brief delay until the Diary appears, as it is hosted by Hallmaster’s own server. Available rooms have a + symbol. Click this to open a booking request form and follow the on screen instructions. Help is available by clicking on the adjacent “Diary User Guide” tab.
An auto reply will give details of making hire fee and deposit payments, by cash or cheque, in order to confirm a provisional booking.
Please pay the hire fee plus a separate £50 returnable deposit at least seven days before your requested hire period. We can then confirm your booking.
Please deliver your deposit, preferably by cheque payable to Poppleton Road Memorial Hall, to the Booking Secretary at 22 Chelwood Walk ( off Poppleton Rd. ) York YO26 4UH. Please note we cannot quickly refund a deposit if paid by BACS.
Provided that the Hall is left as you found it, the Booking Secretary will normally shred your uncashed deposit cheque. Alternatively she will return it to you if you request this, at the time of booking.
In the unlikely event of a damage claim, we may cash your deposit cheque in part or full.
If you need to cancel or amend a Hallmaster booking, this can only be done by a Hall administrator. Please email us via the “Enquiry” form on the RH menu to request this, preferably by no less that seven days in advance. Failure to do so will result in you automatically receiving an invoice for the original hire period.
You can also use the “Enquiry” form for general enquiries. Our Booking Secretary can also be contacted by phone, preferably by text to 07817 101149 or tel 01904 786008. (message service).
1. Your booking period must please include setting up time, before your guests arrive. Half an hour is recommended. You are also recommended to include half an hour after guests depart, for stacking furniture and cleaning up. Please use the equipment from the Cleaners Cupboard, beneath the main stairs, to ensure that the Hall is left tidy for the next user. Although refuse sacks can be found in the kitchen cupboards, it will be appreciated if hirers can kindly bring their own. Our large green wheelie bin can quickly get full, and it will also help if hirers can take large quantities of bagged refuse away and recycle at home. Please do not leave unwanted food in the refrigerator. Any such items will be disposed of. The Hall Committee will be grateful if hirers can bring the Booking Secretary’s attention to any deficiencies that they find. A Comment book is also available by the Notice Board in the main auditorium.
2. The £50 deposit will be returned to the Hirer, normally within SEVEN days after the booking, provided that the Hall is left tidy and undamaged, and the hire fee has been paid. If the Hall Committee have to carry out heavy cleaning after a booking, this may be deducted from the £50 deposit, at the rate of £5 per hour for such additional cleaning, at the Committee’s discretion. If a cheque is returned by our Bank, we will pass their additional charges to the Hirer.
3. Considerable problems have been experienced by the wearing of BLACK-SOLED shoes at parties and discos. These cause unsightly streak marks on the vinyl floor, which are difficult and time-consuming to remove. The Committee will be grateful if hirers will specify on invitations, that party guests should please bring indoor footwear for use inside the building, where possible.
4. Alcohol must NOT be sold in the Hall, except where a Temporary Events Notice has been obtained from the City Council, and must NOT be consumed at all, by under-18`s. The Committee is obliged to notify the Police of any breaches.
5. Please help us to live in harmony with our neighbours by…….
a) leaving quietly, especially at night.
b) using our front and rear hard standing for car parking, where possible.
c) keeping music levels moderate.
6. Central heating may be switched on. The temperature may be varied with the wall mounted thermostat next to the kitchen door. If you use the heating, please reset to 8 degrees, before vacating the Hall.
7. Signposted FIRE EXITS must be kept CLEAR of obstruction at all times. This is a requirement of the City Council, for emergency escape purposes. Hirers are responsible for ensuring that guests with mobility or hearing/sight restrictions are IMMEDIATELY notified of any fire alarm or other emergency, and escorted from the premises.
8. Smoking, including e-cigarettes is not legally permitted inside the Hall. A wall mounted butt bin is available outside the main entrance.
9. If you want to hire a BOUNCY CASTLE or BALL POND, these may be used in the main auditorium. Our insurance does not cover injury claims arising from use of such equipment at private hire functions. Please check that the company from which you hire the equipment, has got Public Liability Insurance cover.
Click here for a summary of our Hirers Public Liability Insurance Cover.
10. Hirers who provide regular activities for others children, or who sub hire eg entertainers for Childrens parties are responsible for ensuring that appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service checks have been implemented. For further information, please check this link.
11. We do not have a TV license. Live or replay (eg iPlayer) television must not be viewed by any mains powered device in the Hall. Battery powered devices may be used, if the viewer has a domestic TV License.
12. Any personal items left in the Hall will be removed and charitably disposed of or recycled, if arrangements are not made to collect within one month of the hire date. Unclaimed food items left in the refrigerator will be disposed of after one week.
13. Thank you for observing our hire conditions, which will keep the Hall in a safe and pleasant condition, for all users.